Founding Teacher (Kindergarten + 1st Grade)
Job Description: Founding Teacher (Kindergarten + 1st Grade)
About: Becoming Collegiate Academy (Becoming or BCA) prepares all students in grades K-5 to be successful in college and life. Our vision is achieved through mirroring the Historically Black College and University (HBCU) experience with a keen focus on: (1) fostering positive relationships, (2) leveraging culture and identity, and (3) upholding high expectations. Like HBCUs, we immerse students in a nurturing and intellectually stimulating environment that connects to the history of their community and inspires them to carry that relentless spirit forward. BCA’s charter was authorized by Duval County Public Schools on October 6, 2020. Becoming will open its doors to its inaugural class of over 200 kindergarten and first grade students in the Fall of 2022.
Position Summary: As a kindergarten or first grade teacher, you will ensure every student receives high quality instruction delivered every single day. Each teacher will report directly to the Principal, or designee, receiving regular feedback and coaching around his or her instructional and leadership capacity.
BCA is a great fit for the person who:
- is excited to create a school that is inspired by the greatness of the HBCU model
- believes that all kids can and want to learn
- can take a vision and make it reality when few see it
- has a sense of humor and brings joy to teaching
- has humility, urgency, and a growth mindset
- believes in doing whatever it takes to meet the goal
- can take, implement, and give constructive feedback
- can remain calm in the midst of pressure, especially in difficult conversations with stakeholders
- has strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backwards plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail, and deliver consistent and timely results.
- has an unwavering commitment to BCA’s mission and willingness to go above and beyond
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution, preferably from an Historically Black College and University
- Experience: Experience in a classroom setting is strongly preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Florida Teaching Certification or Eligibility for Certification
- Implement state learning standards and BCA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations
- Submit weekly lesson plans two weeks in advance for feedback
- Implement formal and informal assessments to track each individual student’s progress and learning needs, adjust lesson plans accordingly and update gradebook weekly
- Communicate students’ progress with student and family on a weekly basis
- Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage work related tasks.
- Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom
- Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
Compensation and Benefits:
- Our current compensation structure is very competitive and is commensurate with experience.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Becoming Collegiate Academy does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact BCA Human Resources at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts school leadership’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Submit questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org