Founding Dean of Instruction
Job Description: Founding Dean of Instruction
About: Becoming Collegiate Academy “Becoming” prepares all students in grades K-5 to be successful in college and life. Our vision is achieved through mirroring the Historically Black College and University (HBCU) experience with a keen focus on: (1) fostering positive relationships, (2) leveraging culture and identity, and (3) upholding high expectations. Like HBCUs, we immerse students in a nurturing and intellectually stimulating environment that connects to the history of their community and inspires them to carry that relentless spirit forward. BCA’s charter was authorized by Duval County Public Schools on October 6, 2020. Becoming will open its doors to its inaugural class of over 200 kindergarten and first grade students in the Fall of 2022.
Position Summary: As the Dean of Instruction of Becoming, you will be responsible for overseeing the curricular and instructional programming for the school. The DOI will report directly to the Principal, receiving regular professional development and coaching around his or her instructional and leadership capacity.
BCA is a great fit for the person who:
- is excited to create a school that is inspired by the greatness of the HBCU model
- believes that all kids can and want to learn
- can take a vision and make it a reality when few see it
- has a sense of humor and brings joy to teaching
- has humility, urgency, and a growth mindset
- believes in doing whatever it takes to meet the goal
- can take, implement, and give constructive feedback
- can remain calm in the midst of pressure, especially in difficult conversations with stakeholders
- has strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backward plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail and deliver consistent and timely results.
- has an unwavering commitment to BCA’s mission and willingness to go above and beyond
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution, preferably from a Historically Black College and University
- Experience: 1+ years experience coaching and/or leading adults in a school setting
- Licenses or Certifications: Florida Teaching Certification or Eligibility for Certification
- Design and implement BCA’s instructional framework for all subjects and facilitate training for teachers on BCA’s instructional framework
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices
- Assists teachers and leadership team with the gathering, examination and analysis of formative and summative assessment data to identify learning concerns for individual students and groups of students.
- Conducts observations and provides appropriate coaching, modeling, and feedback on the implementation of instruction (with an emphasis on literacy and math instruction) that meets district-wide expectations.
- Assist teachers with designing instructional decisions based on assessment data and culturally responsive practices.
- Lead instructional staff to improve their teaching quickly and measurably through daily observations, on-the-spot coaching, data conversations, and effective evaluations
- Conduct classroom observations and debriefs with weekly action steps to increase efficacy of instruction
- Review teachers’ weekly lesson plans and provide feedback
- Conduct weekly one-on-one conversations with direct reports, including time for relationship building, reviewing data, and providing observation feedback
- Conduct twice-a-year teacher performance evaluations for direct reports
- Serve as an active member of the School Leadership Team, meeting weekly for strategic planning and discussion of school initiatives and data
- Supervise school entry, breakfast, lunch, transitions, and dismissal to ensure they are safe and positive
Compensation and Benefits:
- Our current compensation structure is very competitive and is commensurate with experience.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Becoming Collegiate Academy does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact BCA Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts school leadership’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.